Most formative early arts experiences - Rich

by Thursday, July 16, 2015 2 comments

"Share your most formative early arts experiences (be they school-based or not, positive or not)"

Visual Arts


In terms of actual memories, I can remember leaf rubbings at Hollybank, creating bubble pictures, vegetable stamps, decorating real eggs as Easter etc.

During my first degree I took an elective in Digital Arts. I learnt during that unit that art is quite subjective, and that although I didn't think much of my own work, my course coordinator and external markers did think it was good, so I think that's an important aspect to keep in mind when teaching art: remind students that we appreciate different elements of art.

Music


I started playing electronic keyboard from about age 6, and continued on to electronic organ and then piano up until I was about 16. So I have an appreciation for music, especially classical or film-score music. I taught my sister piano at an early age, and she went on to play piano up until her college years.

Drama


I've got photos of myself dressed as 'Joseph' in my preschool school nativity play, and I went on to love drama in High School and college (years 11 & 12).

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a better arts genre experience than I did at school. I do remember all the visual art units of work in primary school as being enjoyable, but high school had too much emphasis on being what the teacher wanted. Unfortunately, I did not match the teacher's expectations and so was not classed as a good artist.
    I am glad to hear that you enjoyed music and drama through your teenage years. Do you think this was something you would have enjoyed regardless, or was it due to exceptional teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a combination of both. But I do remember the teachers were pretty good.

    Late teen years I was part of a big school musical production (put on for the public). So that was a fantastic experience, and although the teachers in this case were all really great, I still think it would have been a great experience regardless of the teachers (if that makes sense!?).

    That's a shame about teachers not classing you as a good artist just because you didn't meet THEIR expectations. Perhaps this is part of the challenge we face as to assessing against the curriculum (and perhaps now it's more structured and criterion based, as opposed to opinion!) I remember my Writers Workshop (English) teacher saying I didn't have a good portfolio, but I ended up getting a really high grade (externally marked); so that made me realise that just because one person gives their opinion doesn't mean it's true. I think a good teacher would/should make that clear when giving feedback on artistic work.

    ReplyDelete