Drama - Rich

by Monday, July 27, 2015 2 comments
Source

 Fox

"What strategies would you use in teaching a drama workshop like 'Fox' to primary children?"

It seems that warm-ups are essential to creating a safe, non-judgemental environment for drama-based lessons (Sinclair, 2012, p. 46). I hadn't thought about their purpose much before, but that does make sense.

There are some warm-up games listed on this site.
Some that could be adapted to suit 'Fox':
  • Yes, let's (actions or moments from the story)
  • Beach, Boat, Bank (Adjust these settings and poses to match the story. For example, one setting could be the desert, another the forest etc.)
  • Hot seat or Park Bench, but for the latter, use the book's characters (Dog, Magpie, Fox) in place of free-choice characters (may be better in small groups). Hot seat may work better.
  • Clapping circle for general warm up
  • And "Zip Zap" (I can't think of a way to tie it to 'Fox' at this stage, but would love to try this to see the energy and fun it creates!)
I would include the Offering and rejecting help activity in a similar fashion to Bird, Donelan, Freebody, O'Toole, & Sinclair (2012, p. 76). I believe linking to human situations that the students themselves are facing could also be appropriate and helpful (as long as the students were comfortable with this). For example, there could be some issues that exist amongst groups of students or individuals, or the school as a whole.


Lessons

References 

Bird, J., Donelan, K., Freebody, K., O'Toole, J., & Sinclair, C. (2012). Drama: Social Dreaming in the 21st Century. In C. Sinclair, N. Jeanneret, & J. O'Toole (Eds.), Education in the Arts (2nd ed., pp. 65-90). South Melbourne, VIC: Oxford.

Sinclair, C. (2012). Teaching for the Aesthetic, Teaching as Aesthetic. In C. Sinclair, N. Jeanneret, & J. O'Toole (Eds.), Education in the Arts (2nd ed., pp. 43-53). South Melbourne, VIC: Oxford.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rich,
    I loved your suggestions for warm-up activities. I particularly liked the clapping circle and the beach, boat, bank game. I remember playing something similar at school but cannot remember in what context.
    I agree with you that I found the article on aesthetic learning a bit difficult to get my thoughts around, but this week has certainly given me some ideas of how to use drama in the generalist classroom too. It does not have to be every lesson, or every day, but trying to incorporate drama and movement would definitely allow for the children who are kinaesthetic learners to enjoy the activity more and to shine in their own way.
    Looking forward to the dance week to see how we can assimilate dance into the core curriculum.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. My only concern is I'm going to forget about doing this when I first start! I will have to come back after a while, and visit all my units and read this blog again so I remember to try and incorporate everything!

    Sure it will all come together eventually!

    ReplyDelete