Thoughts from: Boone (2008)

by Monday, August 03, 2015 3 comments
Children produce large quantities of art when they are young – particularly between the ages of four and six. (Boone, 2008, p. 30)

I can relate to this from the perspective of both of my children.  My daughter was a prolific drawer and producer of art from a young age.  My son, however, was completely opposite.  He would only draw when absolutely necessary.  He did like to construct things, both from Mobilio and in the sand-pit - his artistic endeavours were not on paper.


Theme 6: Children believe artistic ability improves with age.
Young children assert that physical development adds to a person's artistic ability.  As children grow, their fine motor ability (i.e., pencil grip) improves, which allows them to have more control and accuracy in drawing and painting. (Boone, 2008. p. 32)

 
This links in with what I was discussing above.  My son has some artistic talent and this has improved with age.  He still prefers to make stuff and is an avid origami producer.  This shows that his fine motor skills have improved as he has matured to the point that he can make some very intricate things with paper. (See montage of pictures for his artwork.)  He may not be the conventional artist who draws, but he is an artist in his own right.
 


Early childhood literature acknowledges art for its contribution to the general development of children (Tarr, 1989), but does not specifically discuss the pleasure and social skills children derive from art experiences. Early childhood is exploratory in nature, so play-based learning is promoted within early childhood settings. (Boone, 2008, p .36)

This quote resonates with me as I really enjoyed art in my primary school: making bubble pictures, pasta cards, mirror images with paint, sewing pictures, etc..  It was only when I progressed onto high school that I began to feel that art was not my thing.  I did not fit into what the teacher wanted.  Art is a subjective subject, what I like or do not like does not mean that everyone will feel the same.  We have to take the creativity from the piece and appreciate it.

References

Boone, D.J. (2008). Young children’s experience of visual displays of their artwork. Australian Art Education, 31(2), 22-45.


Tarr, P. (1989). Pestalozzian and Froebelian influences on contemporary elementary school art. Studies in Art Education, 30(2), 115-121.
 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful thoughts Sarah. I really appreciate the personal humanity in this thoughtful response :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic oragami from Jack! :)

    My mum got me into oragami, and I used to love making things during my early teens. I'll have to get out the book for my kids, perhaps they may like it better when they are older, but we'll see!

    That's an interesting comparison between the 'drawing' and 'making stuff' between your children. I suppose that's why we, as teachers, should give students the opportunity to explore as many different ways of expressing themselves through visual art as posisble. They may not like 'art', but love building things... and not realise that this can be a form of art.

    I note Boone says one of the research findings was that "Making art is an enjoyable and important social experience for children." This is really great, but I think this may not always coincide with government policy (or other stakeholder views), and that's probably part of the problem with art being seen as 'frosting'.

    'Cross-curricula requirements', indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday at volunteering, the children were given 'proper' clay and were allowed play clay time. I thought this was fantastic as they were allowed to be social and creative at the same time. Some children just goofed off, but some of the conversations between children about what they were doing and how to improve were incredible. I suppose this was what Boone was talking about when he said that art should be a social event, with some peer learning and collaboration thrown in too.

    ReplyDelete