Media Arts - Sarah

by Saturday, August 29, 2015 1 comments

Media Arts



During professional experience placements (PE), I have seen technology being used.  On PE3, with grade 2’s, I used an iPad to video the children teaching each other how to complete certain mathematical processes.  This was the first time they had done this kind of activity, but they loved performing in front of the camera and seeing themselves on the TV at the end of the session.  Some children came out of their shell and would talk about mathematical concepts in a way which showed they had some conceptual understanding (Skamp, 2012) which was maybe not so apparent in their written work. 

As a parent, my son has used an iPad in both grade 5 and 6.  I have found it to be very useful for him as an alternative way to present his information to both myself and his teachers.  He has undertaken PowerPoint presentations, iMovie’s, keynote speeches and garage band.  He still writes in grey lead and text books, but his iPad has opened up new ways to show his learning to others and that is only a good thing.  As advocated in Universal Design for Learning [UDL] (Ashman, 2013) engaging children can effectively be completed through the use of different forms of expression, ICT being one of these.

I will definitely be using media arts in my future teaching as a way to engage those who may struggle to convey their knowledge the conventional ways.  Not only does it engage the children, but it teaches them skills needed for future schooling and in their future jobs.

References

Ashman, A. (Ed.) (2015). Education for inclusion and diversity. (5th ed.). Melbourne: Pearson Australia.

Skamp, K. (Ed.). (2012). Teaching primary science constructively. (4th ed.). South Melbourne: Cengage.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I think Media arts will be one particular area that will be easier to 'integrate' into lessons. I really like the idea of a 5/6 class creating some mini-films. But as it said in our text, this can require a lot of scaffolding and planning. From what I've witnessed on PE, time is at a premium.

    Such a plan might be left for a teacher with a few years teaching experience!

    So true about engagement. On my last PE I integrated ICT/Media arts into a Geography unit by having the students create their own 'Guess the city' game in Powerpoint. They all loved it!

    ReplyDelete